Principles of Smoke and Fire
- As smoke and heat rise, breathable oxygen is closer to the ground.
- If caught in smoke, breath through your nose, take short breaths and squint your eyes.
- Before opening any door, lightly feel for heat.
- DO NOT open hot doors.
- DO NOT break windows to vent smoke because fresh air will rush in and fuel the fire.
- DO NOT return for personal items if ordered to evacuate.
Use the P-A-S-S system:
- P: Pull Locking Pin.
- A: Aim Nozzle at Base of Fire.
- S: Squeeze Trigger all the way Closed.
- S: Sweep Extinguisher and Discharge Side to Side over the Area of Fire.